Saturday, September 8, 2018

Vienna, Austria: Emperor Francis I Statue

When it comes to leaders, Francis I was also Francis II. Very confusing.

Emperor Francis I of Austria also was the second period of that name to be the Holy Roman Emperor. So he was I and II at the same time.

The Roman Empire fell apart because of Napoleon's armies (1806), but he went on to lead Austria until 1835. In a courtyard stands a large statue in tribute to him. It was created by the Italian sculptor Pompeo Marchesi. He is surrounded by four smaller statues representing religious, peace, justice and strength.

The front of the monument reads:
AMOREM MEVM POPVLIS MEIS (testam cap xiii)
"My love to my peoples (from the emperor's last will, 1835)"

Be notified of new posts on this site via Twitter @WDX2BB.

No comments:

Post a Comment