Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Paris, France: The Louvre

The Louvre might be the most famous art gallery in the world. It's probably the biggest, too. There are 10 miles of corridors in the place, which takes up three sides of a square near the river in Paris. There are 380,000 objects to see.

The place is preposterous. It holds the best of the best in art, attracting millions to its doors. I only could spend an afternoon there, and "scratched the surface" doesn't begin to describe how I felt when I left.

Take a walk, and you'll see something magnificent again and again. At one point I stumbled around in one room, glanced at something that looked nice, and realized I was staring at something by Michelangelo. Oh, him. I found out later that "Dying Slave" is quite famous as these things go.

You've heard of the Venus de Milo? It's in the Louvre. Enjoy a big painting? A work on Napoleon's coronation checks in at 33 feet by 20 feet, and it's hanging in a hallway. I'm no art expert, but it all looked pretty good to me.

By now you no doubt are asking about the Mona Lisa, perhaps the most famous painting on earth. Yes, it's there too. The problem is that everyone wants to see the work by Leonardi da Vinci. Mona is on the wall in a big room, but the crowds are such that it's very difficult to physically get near it. I didn't even try. You'd think they'd have some sort of rope system to guide people by it for a few seconds, but instead it's just a mob scene. Well, I saw her from a distance, and that will have to do.

Therefore, I chose to highlight the Winged Victory of Samothrace in this blog. The Goddess of Nike was created 190 BC in Greece. It's at the top of a stairway, and it's stunning to see in person.

We didn't have an advance ticket, and it took about 35 minutes to wind through the line and get into the building. The price was a mere 15 Euros, with most children getting in free.

You should see more of the place, and this video provides some help:



(Be notified of new posts on this site via Twitter @WDX2BB.)

No comments:

Post a Comment